Thursday, June 14, 2012

My First Pole Dancing Class...


My first pole dancing class started off with an almost bang. On my way to the class a red SUV crossed four lanes and went all "Fast and the Furious" in front of me, well two cars in front of me. After spinning out three times the car was able to correct itself without hitting anyone and get off on the next exit which was mine too. Needless to say I let that car pass me.

After all that excitement I was ready take it as a bad sign and turn around but I was already almost there and I didn't want to waste my gas. Gas is expensive. So I pressed on... and was late so I had to wait for the next class. Which would have been fine but the place is in an odd deserted spot, so I thought I was gonna end up a Lifetime movie or end up on a milk carton(do they still do that?), but no. The instructors turned out to be two petite girls, so I thought no problem, "I can take them, I have brothers bigger than them." ; )

However, when the class started I figured out that those two petite small girls could probably take me if they ganged up on me, well they could probably take my brothers too though I doubt they would complain about being taken down by those girls.

Swinging on poles is hard! I didn't realize how much upper body strength it takes to whip around those things! And they had us hang onto the poles with our knees and swing around! AND I could do it!!! Sure I fell on my bum a few times because my feet got all tangled up somehow and I got a bruise on my ankle BUT I did not fall on my face. I didn't fall on it even when we did a front swing where our heads were really really close to the floor. It was awesome. I can't wait for my next class.

So conclusion...

1. Those girls work hard for their money.

2. I can swing on a pole with my knee and 1 hand AND not fall on my face, so that's fun!

3. I have another career option, though it probably isn't as fun when you have to rely on that to say... eat and support your ten kids.

4. My arms are going to be killing me tomorrow.







POLE DANCING HOW TO:
How do you Pole Dance? (well at least what I learned... in 5 steps)

1. No matter what do not let go of the pole!!! (ha that sounds funny)

2. "Do not wear lotion as this may cause you to loose your grip on the pole." (hehehe)

3. To do a BASIC turn/swing - hold the pole with your right hand and take 3 steps starting on the inside foot and on the third step swing your outside foot towards the pole and grip pole with left hand(below right hand) as you use your momentum to swing around the pole all the way down to the floor.

4. To do a TRICKIER turn/swing - hold onto the pole with the back of your knee with your inside leg. Place your hands on the pole one above your knee and one below... now swing forward. (Do not let go of the pole even though you may get freaked out! I didn't but a girl in the class did and made a loud smack as she fell to the floor.) Again swing all the way to the floor using your momentum.

5. One thing we learned about turns and swings is that you always start them while facing the audience. If you are not, you use some booty shakes, wiggles and other dance moves to get into the right position to start your trick. (HA!)


WHERE WAS I?
Fitness to Nutrition Studio
... a lovely petite studio with six poles, an awesome instructor and lots of twirly fitness fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment