Friday, June 15, 2012

What the heck is Krav Maga?


What the heck is Krav Maga? Well today I found out! I took a Intro to Krav Maga class.

Wikipedia says... Krav Maga /krɑːv məˈɡɑː/ (Hebrew: קרב מגע [ˈkʁav maˈɡa], lit. "contact combat") is a noncompetitive eclectic self-defense system developed in Israel that involves striking techniques, wrestling and grappling. Krav Maga is known for its focus on real-world situations and extremely efficient, brutal counter-attacks. It was derived from street-fighting skills developed by Imi Lichtenfeld, who made use of his training as a boxer and wrestler, as a means of defending the Jewish quarter against fascist groups in Bratislava in the mid-to-late 1930s. In the late-1940s, following his immigration to Israel, he began to provide lessons on combat training to what was to become the IDF, who went on to develop the system that became known as Krav Maga. It has since been refined for civilian, police and military applications.

Our instructor said that it was developed to be used effectively by many different people with different body styles. Everyone in the military is taught to use this style of fighting. And since everyone in Israel is supposed to be in the military once they are 18, pretty much everyone knows how to rumble there. He said that with this style of fighting "you don't fight fair, you fight to win," and so when they rumble they rumble dirty.

It was really interesting learning this type of self defense and very useful. He showed us how to move while fighting, how to get out of being strangled, and also how to kick and hit to end a fight quickly.

So that's what that is... so now I am cliffs-noted in it so watch out! I'll grapple your butt if you tick me off!

So conclusion...

1. Don't pick a fight with someone from Israel.

2. If you are gonna fight, fight to win.

3. Boys still cringe when a girl kicks hard below the belt even when there is a punching bag between them.

4. I'm ready if someone wants to strangle me. I know a really cool move now, it's really awesome. In fact, I'm gonna ask all my friends to try and strangle me now.







KRAV MAGA HOW TO:

How do you use Krav Maga? (well at least what I learned in 5 steps)

1. Stand with your arms in front and close to your body with your hands open to protect yourself against punches and attacks.

2. Do not hit with a closed fist. Hit with the bottom part of the palm of your hand.

3. Do not side kick or kick anywhere higher than the groin area as people can grab your foot and use it to hurt you.

4. Use knee and elbow hits to inflict a lot of damage.

5. COOL STRANGLE MOVE ALERT!!! If someone is coming at you from the front and is strangling you, do not try to break the grip by using your hands. Instead shoot your right arm straight up to trap your attacker's hand between your arm and your neck then twist quickly to yourleft breaking the grip. Then bring youarms down fast on their hands further breaking there grip and then elbow them to the face using your right elbow then grab their shoulder that is in front of you and knee them to the stomach. Very cool move! If they come from behind well I'm sorry... I don't know that move yet.

WHERE WAS I?
East Valley Krav Maga
... another petite studio but with a lot of fierceness packed into it. I will definitely be going again when I get a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment